Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Surgery and Christmastime





Here's poor little Neptune before surgery. Poor kid had no idea what was coming to him! He got up and went to the hospital with me and was in a great mood. The nurses just totally fell in love with him. The weather was awful, but we made it and were even there a little early. It was nice having the first surgery of the day 'cuz everyone was on time for the most part. It was very quick and uneventful. The dr came to talk to us afterwards. The poor kids nasal passages were more than half blocked by adenoid tissue. He's going to be able to breathe so much better. I can't imagine dealing with asthma and that on top of it!



After surgery he was obviously not feeling as wonderful. In fact he's had a much much harder time getting over this than Mercury did. And that amazes me. I thought Neptune would be the tougher of the two. The dr finally today agreed to call in a narcotic for the poor kid. We've been alternating Tylenol/Motrin every three hours and that only does the trick for two out of those three hours. And nighttime...is a nightmare. He's up every two hours screaming his fool little head off. We'll probably only use the prescription stuff at night, and I sure hope it helps.

When we got home from the hospital I set him down so I could go to the bathroom. Well he decided he was
gonna get up and walk. Poor kid
was still so doped up he fell into a
dresser and bruised his head. The cut under is eye is something his brother helped him out with the day before. Nice, huh? Anyway, I was so looking forward to a nap with Neptune before Mercury got home from daycare. No such luck. Neptune waited until Mercury was home, then passed out on the living room floor. Thanks kid. How come I always get screwed?

As for Christmastime? I learned an important lesson this year. No matter how strange a present is that ends up on my kids list to Santa, I must listen. Mercury had put a telescope on his list to Santa. I kinda blew it off. Till yesterday. 'Santa' sent him a video email and mentioned that he was sure Mercury would get that special present he had asked for. When I asked Mercury what that present was I was informed it was the telescope. What 4-yr old asks for a telescope? I asked Mercury what would happen if he didn't get it from Santa. He looked at me with all seriousness and said, "I would cry".

Well guess what kid? Santa didn't get you a telescope! So I've had this huge internal battle all night. Do I hunt down a telescope on Dec. 23rd or let my 4-yr old be disappointed on Christmas. Am I spoiling him if I get one? I wrestled with this all night. And I was up basically all night 'cuz Neptune was screaming his head off. So this morning I start searching the Internet and calling around to stores. 'Cuz if I'm gonna do this I'm not getting a 4-yr old some $70-300.00 telescope. That's for darn sure. Well my SIL suggests calling Dicks Sporting Goods. I now owe my life not only to her, but to that store as well. This morning...that's right this morning they clearenced a bunch of telescopes down to $20.00. So I called Jupiter and he ran right over there. The thing comes in a case with a stand and a microscope. Mercury is going to be sooo excited come Christmas. Now I'm sure it's not some extremely powerful telescope, but it will be more than enough for a 4-yr old.

So what did I learn this year? PAY ATTENTION! lol

3 comments:

Super B's Mom said...

Poor babies - God bless them!! I hate that he got a booboo on his head, but gosh he looks so darn precious lying there asleep. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

You did the right thing getting the telescope Mommy! He is going to be so happy! Last year, Super B talked for weeks about a "water truck with an orange monkey." I brushed it off until the week before Christmas when he told Santa that's what he wanted more than anything in the world. And to make matters worse, I had NO CLUE what toy he was talking about.

Until...two days before Christmas, he was watching cartoons and I heard him yell - "water truck!!!" and I saw it on the commercial. So I rushed to the store and found the last one they had. I hid it behind the tree and Super B found it after everything had been opened. He screamed, "SANTA REMEMBERED!!!" It was one of the greatest Christmas memories ever. :)

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!!

Violet said...

i'm so glad Coop hasn't started asking for anything specific!!
great find with the telescope! wtg Santa.

Nikki said...

Oh poor kiddo. Surgery is never fun, no matter how simple the procedure is. Aaron has been tubed twice and got really sick to the anesthesia. Yuck.

nikki

Labels

Powered By Blogger