Thursday, December 11, 2008

Surgery? Again?

I knew it was coming. I did. I'm just surprised at how fast.

Back story. Neptune was born a month early. He had blood sugar problems in the hospital and we had to give him glycerin water quite a few times. He had breathing problems while in the hospital and was monitored very closely. He had to stay longer 'cuz here in this part of the world, he was considered premature. I had a wonderful OB (well I had a midwife, but she could not do my delivery 'cuz Neptune was premature) that wouldn't release me from the hospital until Neptune was released. And for that I am eternally grateful. At three days old Neptune had his tongue snipped. He was born tongue tied. At one week old he had his first ear infection. From then on he had 'on average' one ear infection a month. He was tested at 11 mo old. He was almost totally deaf from the infections and fluid in his ears. They put tubes in three weeks before his first birthday. Five days later he started walking. Two weeks or so after his tubes were put in he had another ear infection. Since then (January of '08) he has had 5-6 ear infections. With tubes. He just had another one about 12 days ago. I took him back to the ENT today and they are going to take his adenoids out. Mercury had his adenoids out last November ('07). He had chronic adenoid infections. He was on an antibiotic every other month or so in the winter since birth. In the past year since his surgery, he's been on one antibiotic. It's been amazing! So yes, I am a little bummed my baby has to go through another surgery, but I am so very hopeful that this one will correct the ear infections. I feel so bad for that poor kid. His ears have been infected almost as much as they have not been infected during his almost two years of life. He's very sensitive about people touching his ears. I really pray this fixes things for him.

The ENT wanted to wait until his next ear infection and then schedule the surgery. But as we talked, he realized what a help it had been to Mercury to have this surgery and with Neptune's past, it was bound to happen at some time. So he let me just go ahead and schedule it. He had wanted to give me time to get used to the idea of my 'baby' needing to go under the knife again. But once he realized I knew it was coming and was as o.k. with it as I was going to be, there was no need to put it off. So next Friday (the 19th) is the big day.

And us, well Mercury started us off in October of '07 with the first of our family's surgeries. Since that one, this next surgery will put us at...6 surgeryies in just over a years time! But I'm glad to get this one in before my outpatient co-pay goes up next month!

3 comments:

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I went through this with both of my children! I hated the surgeries....but the end result made it worth it!

Oh....and Junior Mayhem's adenoids GREW BACK! That is not supposed to happen!

Venus said...

eek don't tell me that!

Nikki said...

Aaron was tubed twice and then had to go under again because the tube had fallen into his ear drum. I was tubed 4 times and it wasn't until they removed my adenoids that I stopped having problems.

Good luck!

nikki

Labels

Powered By Blogger